8 May 2019
Jackson is the place to be in May for all things western! Travel and Leisure Magazine named Jackson one of the best places to visit in May, and Elk Fest and Old West Days (May 18-27) one of the best events!
Elk Fest May 18
Festivities begin May 18-19 with the 52nd annual Elk Fest. Each year, the area Boy Scouts collect the antlers shed by the elk on the National Elk Refuge and have a live auction in May. Proceeds support the Elk Refuge and Boy Scouts. Come see what 6,000 to 9,000 pounds of antlers look like and bid on these magnificent pieces of natural beauty. (Registration to bid at the auction is now open.) The weekend also includes the High Noon Chili Cook-off May 19. Only $5 to taste the best chili around. Participants range from restaurants and professionals to indiviudals and amatuer chefs.
Old West Days
- The 37th annual Old West Days is May 23-27. The Mountain Man Rendezvous sets up at the beginning of the Elk Fest at the Teton County Fairgrounds and the rest of the festivities around the area gear up Memorial weekend.
- The Bar J Chuckwagon opens up their season on May 24 with a chuckwagon dinner and western music show. Make reservations by calling 1-800-905-2275.
- Old West Days Parade happens Saturday May 25 at 10am at downtown Jackson’s Town Square. This is one of the last and best horse-drawn parades of the Old West! Enjoy mountain men, vintage vehicles, covered wagons and the legendary gathering of gunslingers of the West.
- Other festivities during the weekend include a Brew Fest in Town Square, stagecoach rides, western ‘shootout’, and street dance. Memorial weekend officially begins the summer rodeo series at the Teton County Fairgrounds.
- Don’t miss the free music concert on Sunday May 26 with headliner, country super-group, Midland! Gates open at 5pm, show starts at 6pm on Town Square. Presented by the iconic Million Dollar Cowboy Bar.
- Monday wraps up the weekend with the Mountain Man Memorial Day Ceremony at 9 am at Teton County Fairgrounds, American Legion Memorial Service at 10am on Town Square and more Stagecoach rides around historic downtown Jackson from 11am to 5pm. Tickets are $6 adult, $4 child.
Don’t miss all of this great western heritage. There is something for all ages!